QUO VADIS?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
QUO VADIS?

A FORUM FOR ALL THINGS CHRISTIAN AND PROPHETIC

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Arrayah

Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel? Empty
PostSubject: Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel?   Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm a little confused by part of the following piece of scripture, where Jesus says that He was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.
I know Jesus as my Saviour and friend but this scripture suggests that He came only for the Jews,

21Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."

23Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."

24He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."
25The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.

26He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

27"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."

28Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

Am I taking this piece of scripture out of context? or is it a picture of how we are saved through faith Question

I would love any comments on this

I love you
Arrayah
Back to top Go down
QUO VADIS?

PostSubject: Re: Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel?   Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 5:41 pm

This is in Matthew 15:24. You are not taking it out of context. Good question.

As a Priest He was sent to obtain eternal redemption and salvation by His act of Atonement as the perfect sacrifice on the cross, whether for Jews or Gentiles[Matthew 20:28 and John 3:16]; but as a Prophet, in terms of His own personal ministry as He walked the earth, he was sent by his Father only to the Jews. He is their promised Messiah. He poured His life into His disciples and they would start the new age of the Church. See Romans 15:8 where it says, “Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:” His ministry was to the Jew as promised in the Old Testament. In Isaiah 53 we see how He was spoken of as Messiah and how what happened to Him was described so perfectly so long before He came to the earth.

In those times the Jews called the Gentiles “dogs” because of their idolatrous ways. When He called her a dog He was just using the term as commonly spoken. I believe He did this to perfectly demonstrate her faith, because it revealed her heart. It was not proud as evidenced by her response: In verse 27 “And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. 28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.”

In 1 Peter 5:5 you will see how it says that God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. I think He loved her gracious reply because it came from a humble heart. A proud person would not have responded so.

Certainly is an example to me! flower
Back to top Go down
Arrayah

PostSubject: Re: Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel?   Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 9:48 am

Wow, that certainly puts it into perspective for me - thank you.

Had Jesus not called her a dog it wouldn't have demonstrated so perfectly her humble heart as you say.

I think that this is something that, specifically in this modern day, where the world promotes the self above all else, is something that we really need to keep close to our hearts. Especially when things are not going our way, or we cannot understand why we have to go through some of the difficulties of life. So often we end up trying to do it on our own without God, we close our hearts to His voice because we want what we want and in our time and not Gods. But we are told in Proverbs 3: 5-6 to

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

To do this it truly requires a humble heart and great faith, as the Canaanite woman demonstrated in Matthew 15:27. We are also promised in the word that we will be blessed when we humble ourselves:

Proverbs 22:4 Humility and the fear of the LORD bring wealth and honor and life.

James 4:10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Psalm 149:4 For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with salvation.

Psalm 147:6 The LORD sustains the humble but casts the wicked to the ground.

And the woman was blessed! Her daughter was healed! If we keep our eyes on Jesus and not on what we can see happening around us, He will lift us up, He will protect and provide for us, He will heal us, He will guide us, He will never let us down. He loves us that much!

I love you
Arrayah
Back to top Go down
QUO VADIS?

PostSubject: Re: Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel?   Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 1:25 pm

We certainly are in a world of self-promotion and pride. There are times I find myself having to guard against being arrogant.... especially dealing with arrogant people ... and to be honest not doing a good job of it every time..... especially when something that is important to me is being trashed. As Joyce Meyer always says.... not where I want to be.... but thank God I am not where I used to be! Very Happy

One thing I have learned is that two proud people in an argument just escalate it to levels that can even become ridiculous. And nobody wins. Lose-lose ......and sometimes so badly that what is precious falls between the cracks somewhere.

Lovely verses you listed. Makes being proud just foolishness. I think of how Jesus was prepared to die on a cross to redeem us.... didn't fight to protect His reputation but trusted His Father not to leave Him in hell.... and all the scorn and mocking while in an agony of pain we can barely grasp.... makes me seem really foolish when I am proud. I have no reputation. He is God. Pride makes us more stupid than stupid as we strut our stuff.
Back to top Go down
Allegra

PostSubject: Re: Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel?   Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Cool! That also bothered me - about calling her a dog. Reckon she behaved better than I would've. Rolling Eyes Hopefully not now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel?   Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sent only to the lost sheep of Israel?
Page 1 of 1